woensdag 17 mei 2017

At the gym

With the way she articulates it's a bit hard to understand everything she says, but she seems happy to talk. I hear about her husband and that he recently got a permit for disabled parking, and how they look forward to a cream tea next Sunday organised by the home care organisation. When I compliment her on how well she worked on the rowing machine just now, she tells me about the stroke she had several years ago and that her biggest regret is not being able to ride a bicycle anymore; a number of painful falls destroyed her self-confidence.
She shrugs. "My husband is 77 and I am 76", she continues, "We must accept that we cannot do all the things we want anymore". I compliment her again, and emphasize that their visit to the gym twice a week is a very good thing to do. It doesn't matter that their workout is on a low level, or that they stay only half an hour.
During the conversation her eyes brighten up for a moment or two, and I am struck to see how different she looks when she smiles.



home trainer
picturing herself
in a country lane


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten